This project was started about 20 years ago. All in my head. This whole thing started with this sheet of decals for a spool cabinet that I bought from the VanDykes Restorers catalog for twenty dollars.
Twenty years ago for twenty bucks.
I saw some on Ebay last week, same price. No inflation on decals I guess.
I waited 20 years to decide on the right project to use the decals on. Is that procrastination at it’s finest?
Read more of this painted project on bliss-ranch.com
Ashley Hughes finished this remarkable buffet using all free hand painted lettering. She did not use tracing, stencils or overlays for this process. What you see is 100% her original design and talent!
Ashley spent over 30 hrs between coming up with a design, drawing it on paper then hand drawing her ideas on the buffet. In addition, the multiple intricate and detailed layers of the lettering, plus re-staining the whole piece made this piece one of a kind, and certainly one of the most memorable painted pieces we have seen.
I started playing around with a metal putty knife and some paint to start adding layers of paint to the dresser. But, that didn’t work out. The paint was just too thin and didn’t really go anywhere, because the dresser was so textured, the paint just sat in a glob and just kinda smeared.
After trying that for a bit, I decided that my paint needed a little substance if this idea was going to work. So I took spackling paste and mixed it with some paint (about 4 parts paste to 1 part paint) – just mix it really good until the paste is the same color as your paint and there are no more lumps. I found the best method to trowel on the paint was a cheap plastic putty knife that had some give in it.
Read more at sweetpickinsfurniture.com
My original plan was to paint it with blues and grays but when I started to sand it I quickly found out that it just wasn’t going to happen. Whatever the top coat of white paint that was on this piece was not coming off easily. I applied stripper to help remove the white and underneath the white was an red/orange color of paint.
When I worked on the top piece it had a yellow paint under the white. I liked the old look that the stripping and sanding gave it so I decided to just go with the colors that were already there. So I added a coat of Min-Wax Provincial stain to the painted areas wiping off after about 5 minutes.
Read more of rusticrediscovered.com